Re: fc-10/windows xp installation

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 20:16 -0400, pete b. wrote:
> What I'm doing is installing fedora-10 so I can dual boot either fc-10
> or windows-xp.
> windows-xp already exists using 26GB of 80GB on the HD.
> I go thru a few menus.  Then I get to the partitioning and have
> problems.
>
> I selected "use free space of selected drives and create default
> layout".
> 1 drive is selected and the same drive is chosen to boot from.
>
> The response is:
> 1. Could not allocate requested partitions. Not enough space left to
> create
> partition for /boot.
>
> 2. Have not defined a root partition.
>
> What is going on with this?  Is there a reliable fix?
> FYI pehaps I selected the wrong disk (I have two).  Is there a method
> to find out
> the manufacturer of a disk from windows?

Instead of letting the installer choose, try custom setup instead.  Just
check mark which drive you want to use at the top, in the partitioning
menu, and then just add new partitions.  I would just create a /boot, /
and swap partitions. Maybe a gig for /boot, double your memory for swap,
and the rest for /.

But mainly, it lets you create your own setup and you know what drive to
use and all that.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY