Re: hyperthreading on f11 pae kernel?

Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> I have an old Dell GX260 with one P4 and 1Gb of ram.
> I installed F11 32 bit and updated it yesterday with latest kernel
> available.
> I noticed that kernel installed was the PAE one, as stated inside release
> notes. Also in other documents I see that only i586 is the other available
> one kernel.
> From /proc/cpuinfo I see that there is the ht flag, but the system gets only
> one cpu.

Please note that the “ht” flag doesn’t actually mean that the processor
has two virtual processors. All it means is that if the OS asks the
processor how many virtual processors it has, it will get a sensible
answer.

(I have a Core 2 Duo system and a Phenom x3 system to hand. Neither chip
supports hyperthreading: both have the “ht” flag in /proc/cpuinfo).

You may want to look further (e.g. by processor speed and/or model
number) to check if your processor really does support hyperthreading.
However, since you say:

> In bios I see no option for enabling/disabling hyperthreading, so that I
> suppose it is enabled by default.... but I could be wrong....
> I have to apply in the mean time a bios update…

You may find the BIOS update enables hyperthreading, but if not, I
recommend you accept that either processor, motherboard, or both won’t
support hyperthreading. You’d need to replace some hardware to get it
working, and on a system that old, it’s not worth doing. (Hyperthreading
on a Pentium 4 only gave ~10% performance improvements, depending on
what you were doing).

> but I would like to ask if using PAE implies no ht

This is definitely not the case. Any hyperthreading CPU can run PAE (and
still hyperthread), and most of them should be running PAE.

> and if using i586 I
> can get ht or not in general.

You should be able to get hyperthreading on an i586 kernel IF your
system supports it, BUT I very very much doubt it will make the
slightest bit of difference in your case.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | [Computer] chips consume power, and in return they give
aprilcottage.co.uk | you heat and a few electrons in the right places.