Re: Anyone using Skype on FC11 ?

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> You're talking about the CPE (Customer Premises Equipment). The CPE is
> not the phone system, which is choc-a-bloc with highly proprietary
> systems, both hardware and software. Nobody cares unless it breaks down.
> (Please don't take this as an argument against open source).

And which part of a phone system would a user be wanting to run
customised on their own premises?  The phone, not the exchange.  People
run skype, and its ilk, to have an alternative phone in their hot little
hands.

Even then, the protocols involved in telephony aren't that well a
guarded secret.

>>> Is it free from bugging?

>> Mostly impossible for the average person to listen to your calls.

> I thought we were talking about government agencies here.

I think that came up later in the thread.  Let's face it, you can't stop
the government snooping on you, if they really want to.  Not unless you
live in a sound proofed, and electrically isolated Faraday cage.  If it
proved hard to tap your phone, they'd simply bug the room.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.