Re: Question on shredding a terebyte drive

On 09/02/2009 04:32 PM, Dean S. Messing wrote:
I have a terebyte sata drive that I need to securely wipe clean.  It
originally had 2 partitions.  I deleted them using `fdisk', rebooted,
and then as root ran

     shred -vz /dev/sdd

The drive is capable of about 60MB/sec, but shred is only "shredding"
about 25MB every 5 seconds according to its output.  Since the default
number of passes is 25, this works out to about 5 days.

The `shred' process is running at 100% CPU, presumably computing
the special random patterns for erasure.  Since I have 4 CPUs
would creating 4 unformatted partions on the drive and then running
something like:

    shred -vz /dev/sdd1
    shred -vz /dev/sdd2
    shred -vz /dev/sdd3
    shred -vz /dev/sdd4

in parallel cut my time?  Would be just as secure?

Thanks
Dean
I strongly suspect that would actually be a lot slower since the drive would be doing _a lot_ of seeking.

Jeff