Re: howto play audio here and hear it there

On Tuesday 01 September 2009 14:49:31 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I'm running Fedora 11 with the gnome desktop on a small LAN. I'd like to
> > run an audio player (say xmms) on box2 and hear it on box1, which is
> > directly connected to my stereo.
> >
> > In the past I would connect to box1 from box2 via ssh and then run xmms
> > from the command line. Now when I try doing this I get this message:
> >
> > Couldn't open audio. Please check that
> > Your soundcard is configured properly
> > You have the correct output plugin selected
> > No other program is blocking the soundcard.
> >
> > I can play audio with problems from box1, so the soundcard must be OK.
> > I have pulseaudio selected as the output plugin in xmms. (The same
> > problem occurs with alsa and the other plugins.)
> > It seems likely, then, that the problem is some other program is running
> > on box1 that is blocking use of the soundcard.
>
> By default, PulseAudio only runs when a user does a GUI login.
>
> > Two related questions:
> > (1) Does anyone know what other program this might be (gnome?) and how I
> > might get around the block?
> > (2) Isn't this the sort of simple application pulseaudio was designed
> > for? Shouldn't I be able to run xmms on box2 and use pulseaudio to play
> > the output on box1?

Yes, pulseaudio is designed to provide such things. And if you use it for
remote playback, I believe you should not need to start xmms via ssh remotely.
Just start it on a local machine (box2) and point the local pulseaudio sink to
the remote machine (box1). Assuming you have configured everything else
properly (see below), that should do it.

> > Has anyone been able to do anything like this with
> > pulseaudio and, if so, what settings did you use and where did you set
> > them?
>
> I have not tried this, so this may not work. But you could try
> editing /etc/pules/daemon.conf and changing "; system-instance = no"
> to "system-instance = yes". You will probably have to start
> pulseaudio from rc.local. (Please note that the ; at the start of
> the line was removed.)

While running pulseaudio as a system daemon might be a reasonable solution in
your case, please be aware of

  http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemWideInstance

and especially of

  http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/WhatIsWrongWithSystemMode

> Once you have PA working correctly, you may want to play with the
> network capabilities of PA. You can set up a network sink on box 1,
> and a network source on box 2. You can then direct any output on box
> 1 to the network sink and have it play on box 2. This is one of the
> things on my "to do" list.

Also refer to

  http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/FAQ#WhydoInotseeremotesinksincontrolapplications

and other relevant FAQ items. You need to have avahi zeroconf service running,
set up appropriate environment variables, and such. This is on my TODO list
also, so I'm interested in the details when/if you get it working.

HTH, :-)
Marko