Re: rogue suspend is driving me nuts

On 08/31/2009 06:05 PM, Tony Nelson wrote:
On 09-08-31 13:44:11, brian wrote:
2.6.29.6-217.2.16.fc11.i586

For the past couple of weeks, my desktop machine has been shutting
down on its own. I thought it might be a hardware problem until I
noticed that, each time, /var/log/pm-suspend.log was being written
to:

Initial commandline parameters:
Mon Aug 31 12:53:31 EDT 2009: Running hooks for suspend.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00auto-quirk suspend suspend: Adding quirks
from HAL: --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-dpms-suspend --quirk-vbe-post
--quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-vga-mode-3

... etc.

So, what the heck is driving this? Can anyone tell me what is calling
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/*? This box is quickly becoming unusable.

If you don't need suspend, perhaps you can disable it?  Though I'm not
sure if that will make it stop.

That's the thing: I don't know how. I've already disabled everything I can find related to power management. I should have mentioned that (it was in my earlier thread).

Also, these suspends happen both when the box is idle and not (while typing, for instance). And I've never been able to bring it out of suspend.

I wonder if it's related to the bug where the screen blanks occasionally. I've also been seeing that.

If you can't solve the problem, and you don't need fancy Power
Management services, you can `yum remove gnome-power-manager`.  I did
that and also removed gnome-screensaver, replacing both with
xscreensaver.  I don't use suspend or hibernate, but I do want the
display to sleep, and, as a bonus, I get better looking screensavers.
I did lose the ability to switch users without first unlocking the
screen.

OK, I've done that. I should know by tomorrow if it worked, as this box has been shutting down several times a day.