Re: F11 OS Instability? Twice now, the system locks out!

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:55:52 -0400
brian <fedora@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/29/2009 01:39 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> >
> > The last time I had a system lock-out was several
> > weeks ago, and just today, I experienced another.
>
> It's locked up on me about a half dozen or so times in the past week.
> Additionally, the box suspends at random times[1] (it's not a laptop)
> and cannot be brought back out of it.

When F11 first came out I experienced lockups with FF 3.5 (and only FF)
about 1 in 3 or 4 times when I was starting it.  I started compiling my
own kernels, elmininating all the functionality I don't use, tuning
other parameters to different values than the default Fedora kernel,
optimizing for my hardware and use case.  Since then I haven't had a
lockup.

Moral of the story - I think some of the pieces in the kernel don't
play nice together.

No hard evidence for the suspicion, strictly anecdotal.  I now run the
official kernel only long enough to download the src.rpm and compile a
custom kernel so I don't know if the problem is still there.