Re: help

On 08/28/2009 05:33 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:

I installed fedora 11 and I can't get online. It detects the Internet
connection and says it is established but firefox will not connect
neither will the system update. Is there something I need to do in the
terminal to make it go online. I have a dsl connection. I had to revert
back to ubuntu to get online. Any help would be appreciated.

This sounds like a dns problem.  Right-click on the network icon in your
system tray, and choose Edit Connection.  You should then see your
connection,
probably (but not necessarily) as eth0.  Highlight it and choose Edit.  On
the
IPV4 tab you need an entry.  In most cases you can simply give it the
address
of your adsl router or modem - often 192.168.1.1.  What that does is tell
your application to go through the router or modem and ask your ISP to
resolve the addresses you give it.
Although all this seems sensible to me,
I am a bit surprised none of you gurus has suggested using "ping".
I would start by pinging my ISP, if possible using the IP address.
To me, the first question would be, "Are my packets leaving the house?"
If I determined that they were, I would think to myself,
"So it's a pretty simple issue then, probably something to do with DNS,
or maybe DHCP."
If I found the packets were not leaving my house,
I would be much less sanguine.

I already asked about resolve.conf ..... but did not get reply :-(