Re: PS3 Slim "does not support" Linux. Can it be worked-around?

Fernando Cassia wrote:
previous versions, installing Linux on the PS3 is "not supported".
Why? they didn't say.

So... there go my hopes of getting a PS3 console to watch Blu-Ray
movies *and* install Fedora on it
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PlayStation#Status

Questions:
-Is this a firmware issue? Did they just remove the option to boot a
secondary OS from the menus? Can this be worked around?
Secondary os is booted from ps3 firmware so it could be only problem in there.
-Can the PS3 "Slim" be made to run an older firmware release from the
"fat" previous version that does include such option?
Maybe if you find way to downgrade it. You have to remember that Sony can drasticly change the hardware between revisions and the machines could have differences which are made to look same for the game designers through firmware. So nothing is quaranteed and in worst case you will make the machine as nice nonfunctional decorative piece. :)
-What if you take the HD from a "fat" PS3 with Linux and plug it into
the PS3 Slim?
You still need to be able to tell in ps3-side to boot on the other side. So maybe not. Still worthwhile to try.
If anyone on this list is experienced with running Fedora on the PS3,
I'd like to know more about these issues. TIA...

FC

When I tried it the biggest problem probably was that there isn't that much of memory and on the other hand at that time gfx-support wasn't that great (only framebuffer).

And you have to remember that according some sources it was included purely for getting lower customs fee meant for computers instead of one meant for game consoles. Maybe the customs fee isn't issue anymore and hence they got rid of the functionality.

As what I would do is to get the older fat-version as they are now selling with lower price.

-vpk