Re: About configuring a kernel, and CONFIG_PREEMPT (Solved)

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 08:23 -0700, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I need to rebuild the Fedora Kernel, something I haven't done for
> many years, to (hopefully) reduce the large number of xruns that I'm
> getting using jackd.  The plan is to build a preemtable kernel.

> 3. The natural way to build the new kernel would seem to be to unpack
> 	the kernel source, using
> 		$ rpm --install kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.src.rpm
> 	copy in the .config file from the kernel-devel package, and then
> 	run
> 		rpmbuild -bb --short-circuit
> 	to generate the new kernel RPMs.
>
> 	Unfortunately the --short-circuit argument cannot be combined with
> 	the -bb argument.  What's the best thing to do here?

There is an easy way to do this *for the kernel*, which is do whatever
modifications you want, say by using "$ make gconfig" and then to invoke
"$ make rpm".

Unfortunately, nothing like make rpm seems to be available for most
RPMs, which is a bother when you want to modify them.

jon