Re: F-11 and F-12 on same machine?

Tom Horsley wrote:

>> sharing the same /home (and /boot)?
>
> Sometimes different versions of things that store junk in your
> home directory in ~/.<whatever> files and directories can make
> incompatible changes in the contents of that hidden stuff,
> then when you boot back to the old version things don't all
> work right. Other times there are no problems at all, but
> you never know if it is gonna happen.

Couldn't it be part of the upgrade "protocol"
that this should not happen?

It seems to me that it shouldn't be too difficult
for an "if F11 ... elsif F12" sequence to be included
in files that might be affected.

Or at least a list of possible problem files could be published.

> I always avoid sharing /boot if I can help it, kernel updates
> will come along and change the order of things, messing with your
> grub.conf file.

I must say I have never had any serious problem
having a single /boot partition.
Admittedly when a new distribution is installed grub.conf is re-written.
But this is easy enough to deal with, in my experience,
since the old grub.conf is saved,
and can just be appended to the new one.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net