Re: dovecot update warning

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:23:07 -0400
Todd Zullinger wrote:

> It seems to me that if the dovecot update can cause loss of mail
> through incompatible changes, it should not be pushed to a stable
> release in the first place.  If that's the case and you lost mail
> because of this, it's surely worth filing a bug so the maintainer
> knows about the problem.

Its complicated :-). Dovecot isn't really the one losing the mail,
it depends on how sendmail or postfix or whatever you are using is
configured. With postfix (which I am using), something going wrong
with the deliver program will lose the mail unless you have
"softbounce" enabled (which I do have enabled because I broke
the deliver stuff once before and discovered the wonders of
softbounce at that time :-).

Perhaps if there is a bug anywhere, it is that postfix doesn't
come with softbounce on by default, but no doubt that is the
way the upstream defaults are set. Probably for good reasons
like not filling up the spool directory under a spam flood.