Re: Pulseaudio config problem.

On Monday 24 August 2009 08:36:47 Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 23/08/09 16:19, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> >>
> >> The Playback window only has one down arrow at "Show" and it has three
> >> choices: "All Streams", "Applications", and "Virtual Streams". I don't
> >> see any "Move Stream" and nothing about output channel.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately pavucontrol is not self-explanatory and apparently there
> >> is no help available, so I don't see how I should use it. Perhaps
> >> PulseAudio is somewhat premature in its present state of development?
> >
> > It sounds as if you do not have the application playing that you
> > want to direct to another output. When it is playing, you should
> > have 3 icons on the right side for your application, with the down
> > arrow icon being the one farthest to the right.
>
> Yes, I have apparently misunderstood the way it works. But isn't it alsa
> that directs the output to PulseAudio? When I launch alsamixer that's what
> it says.

I believe it's the other way around. Application talks to pulseaudio which
talks to alsa which talks to hardware, when doing playback. When recording,
the data flows in the opposite direction.

There is a good analogy with video --- alsa corresponds to a video card
driver, pulseaudio corresponds to X server. The end-user application should
never talk to the driver directly, but only to the server.

HTH, :-)
Marko