Re: Problems with Dual Display with Radeon Mobility 7500

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
On Friday 21 August 2009 18:20:06 William M. Quarles wrote:
I'm trying to set up a spanning desktop on my Dell Latitude C640 laptop,
which has an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 graphics chipset and a Dell 1504FP
LCD monitor in analog (VGA) mode. I use Gnome on Fedora 10.

I can (sometimes) get the spanning desktop to work using
System/Preferences/Hardware/Screen Resolution from the Gnome menu with
the laptop configured to be on the left, and the external display
configured to be on the right. However, this is actually the opposite of
my physical setup at my desk. Every time that I try to switch the
displays to their actual layout, the desktop still spans, but the
displays are mirrored, which is not only useless, but can also cause
problems, especially when sometimes it results in the display without
the top and bottom bars missing (!). Does anybody know how I can get
this work properly with the laptop on the right and the external monitor
on the left?

I would try to do it from the command line first, using xrandr. You can put all desktops left, right, up, down of each other, overlap, rotate, reflect sideways, upside-down, inside-out, and whatnot...

When you sort out the options that make it work as you wish, you can put it in ~/.login or /etc/rc.local or whereever...

man xrandr

It seems that putting the command in ~/.login is not useful, as it gets overridden. I still have to run xrandr manually every time that I log in. That is, unless I have to do something besides creating the ~/.login file, entering the xrandr command in it, saving the file, and then setting the ~/.login file to be executable. Does anybody know what else would need to be done?

I also don't see how using /etc/rc.local would do any good, as I would think that Fedora would still be in "text-mode" at that point. Then again, I know next to nothing about current x.org stuff and how to get a spanning display properly configured.

HELP! I need somebody... HELP! Not just anybody... HELP! You know I need someone... HE-e-elp!

Peace,
William