Re: Is RPMfusion on strike?

On 08/21/2009 06:25 PM, gilpel@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Now, you tell me that DKMS, which is a less specific tool, would do a
better job?

that I
update for newer driver versions only, not kernels.
So, if there's a kernel security update, as at least the 2 last updates
were, you don't update?

Sure you could use
the akmod package if you want more packages installed but I do not.
What does "if you want more packages installed" mean? I just want want my
video card to work with the most recent kernel.

DKMS generates kernel modules on-demand instead of on a per-RPM basis. The Fedora kernel RPM even has DKMS hooks that trigger a module rebuild when it is updated. You don't have to worry about having a corresponding RPM to match the kernel. This means no additional RPMs are built or required when you update the Fedora kernel package. The "akmod" package is supposed to mirror this functionality, but users note that akmod packages simply don't work as intended.

On a side note, you could even use a kernel.org vanilla kernel with DKMS. This simply couldn't happen under an akmod or kmod package that livna/RPM Fusion utilize.

Why should I ask DKMS?

yum search dkms
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
=== Matched: dkms ===
dkms.noarch : Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework

It seems all I have to do is install DKMS. Maybe you could explain what
happens afterwards.

You cannot simply install DKMS and be safe. Your nVidia RPM needs to be tailored for DKMS use. The freshrpms.net RPM was DKMS driven. The livna/RPM Fusion RPM is kmod driven. I suggested to use DKMS when RPM Fusion was forming and it was shot down for reasons of personal bias. The RPM Fusion folks prefer the kmod package system.