Re: GNOME startup, -before- desktop

Jud Craft wrote:
> I don't think Fedora comes with auto-fs built in, does it?

Yes, it is available "yum install autofs".

The rest of you post indicates that you want to do more/less/different
things than what you stated earlier as simply mounting a drive that
contains your Desktop directory.  And frankly, I don't know all of your
requirements. Maybe all of your users run around with their directories
on flash drives....I don't know.

Anyway....you haven't tried autofs and from what you say below you don't
really know how it works...and all the options available and maybe you
don't even want to give it a try since you've already decided on a solution.

(FWIW, the above doesn't sound good when I read it back...so I hope you
don't take offense....past midnight here and too sleepy to change it....)
> One feature I essentially need is that all my users are in a
> mount-group, so they can all unmount the drive.  Whenever a user logs
> in, I need the drive to be automatically unmounted and then
> -remounted- as that user.
>
> Doing a simple script that does "umount" followed by "mount"
> accomplishes this nicely.  I just need to make the script run before
> Nautilus so it doesn't freak out if the XDG Desktop directory changes.
>
> I'm not sure auto-fs can be set to "automatically umount the partition
> if a different user is logging in and then remount it as that user."
> Similar to gnome-automount, I think it just automatically mounts the
> partition once, and leaves it mounted under the original user that
> mounted it even across sessions.  That won't work.
>
> Key problem is that a lot of GNOME programs won't work with a FAT32
> partition unless it is mounted under the user's name (ex., Trash
> functionality, temporary backup files in Text Editor, etc) since FAT32
> doesn't have standard Unix permissions, so GNOME's shortcut is to only
> allow functionality for the user who mounted it (not even the group,
> but the specific user).
>
> That's great for a personal flash drive, but not for a shared system
> partition that holds documents or temp files.  I want that to work
> automatically across different accounts on my machine, before startup,
> without any user action.  So automatically remounting the FAT32
> partition under the current user seems like a good idea.
>

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Ed Greshko<Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Jud Craft wrote:
>>
>>> It automatically mounts a drive that contains my Desktop directory.
>>> Hence, I need it to work before nautilus does.
>>>
>>> It specifically is a per-user mount, so I can't have it globally
>>> automount at computer startup.
>>>

>> Have you considered using autofs for this?  The automount will only
>> happen when directory is accessed.
>>
>> So, something like this should work....
>>
>> In auto.master
>>
>> /misc       /etc/auto.misc
>>
>> In /etc/auto.misc
>>
>> Desktop     -fstype=auto      :/dev/sdc2  (or whatever you need)
>>
>> And in your home directory make Desktop a symbolic link to /misc/Desktop.
>>
>> There are probably better ways to construct this with autofs....but I'm
>> not giving it too much thought....
>>
>> I've also read where pam can be used for what you want....
>>

>> --

You have a strong desire for a home and your family interests come
first. Mei-Mei.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSz_koUhSg