Re: list files but not directory

Hi;

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 13:36 +0100, Albert Graham wrote:
> On 08/21/2009 12:58 PM, ann kok wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > any way to list files but not directory
> >
> > Thank you
> >

> >        __________________________________________________________________
> > The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier.  Optimized for Yahoo!  Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/
> >

> Seems like a very reasonable request and its a shame that ls does not
> provide such an option (which I guess would be an extension to the -A
> option)

I remember asking about this four or five years ago when I first started
using Linux (RedHat). (It was the first question I asked on the users
mailing list.)

Now that I am familiar with 'find' and 'grep' etc. I no longer worry
about it.  However, 'ls' is probably the first commandline command a
beginner learns.  It seems illogical, that 'ls' wouldn't have a flag
that just shows files when it has a flag for directories.  It can cost
newbies hours looking for a solution that isn't there.

Couldn't the shell maintainers just add an appropriate flag to show
files only?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3