Drive partitioning issues

To make a long story short, I have extensively used GParted to
resize/move and create new partitions and eventually, I was faced
with "hidden" multiple partitions that prevented me from installing F11.

I was really surprised that GParted did not "clean up" old partitions
I really did not want when using resizing, moves, creation, deletions,
and so on, or so I think.  I did wonder why partitions were being
reassigned and thought no "damages" could result in doing so.

When reading the bug reports involving the "failure" of F11's LiveCD
from finding any partitions due to to the "hidden" multiple partitions,
I found in the bug-reports that someone had used fdisk as follows:

# fdisk -u /dev/sda
 type in: 'x'  - Advanced setup
 type in: 'f'   - Reorder partitions
 type in: 'w' - Write the new tables
 type in: 'q' or quit
* It ends saying that a reboot is necessary.

I noticed that the partition assignments of sda[1-X]
may change and may require that the grub.conf and
possibly the /etc/fstab files will need to be updated
to reflect the re-assigned partitions.

Having done that, I was able to boot into my f8 & f9
OS, but I was no longer able to get my ubuntu nor
debian OS to work as grub can no longer find them,
somehow.  Yes, I have used grub's root & setup
commands and they did not solve the problem,
and probably will not solve my F11 LiveCD
installation problem.

What is interesting is, I noticed that GParted believes
the entire drive is unallocated - perhaps due to these
"hidden" partitions, however fdisk had no problem in
listing the entire drive's partition information.

I searched the internet for "Gparted unallocated', I
found a site that advised to use 'testdrive'. Using
'testdrive', it found many "hidden" partition tables.
Since I have never used testdisk before, I did not
wish to 'write' anything in fear of losing the data
permanently since I have no back up.

My plan is to wait for my RMA'ed drive to arrive,
and to transfer all of my partitions from the "corrupted"
drive to the new drive, make sure it works correctly,
before using 'testdrive' on the "corrupted" drive to see
if I can recover the mangled partitions, otherwise I will
just wipe the "corrupted" drive clean for other uses.

I am writing this because I am wondering if anyone has
a better solution or has used 'testdrive' successfully to
recover in situations like I have written here.

Thanks -
Dan