Re: Unable to kill runaway app. -

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 12:31 -0700, Peter Langfelder wrote:

As previously stated, use kill -9 <pid>. The kill command without the
-9 only works if the process actually listens to signals, which is not
likely if it's stuck in some (semi-)infinite loop.

To be pedantic, even -9 will only work if the process is "listening".
That's because signal-handling is done by the kernel side of the process
itself. The point about -9 (SIGKILL) is that the process can't trap or
mask it, but if it's stuck waiting on an uninterruptible kernel event
('D' state) there is nothing that will kill it short of rebooting.

poc
Yes, I guess I've had that demonstrated to me.

I've added the option soft to the client /etc/fstab which may make it possible to interrupt things?

That is, if I have done the right thing in the right place.

Bob