Re: Fedora And Virtualization

(Please don't top-post, see the Guidelines).

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 15:42 -0300, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
don't use VM$#$$#$#

please use KVM, libvirt and virt-manager

xen is also available.

Some kind of reasoned argument would be worthwhile here. I use both VBox
and occasionally VMware because I could never get KVM to work. There
seemed to be some key part of it missing, but it may have been just bad
documentation.  This was a few releases back so maybe it has improved,
but I already have my VMs set up the way I like them.

For example, does KVM now support USB devices reliably? That's a
show-stopper for me.

poc

Wrong question.

The correct question is: Has USB support been improved in qemu?
Qemu is also used by Xen.

The answer: YES!

I have successfully used a Fedora 32 bit VM to install to a USB key on a 64 bit host. Very cool. I passed the usb host:vendor_id:device_id info from lsusb to qemu and it worked like a charm.

From my tests on building embedded systems and a few other VMs, KVM was far and away faster than the VMware I tested, and setting up XEN seems superfluous; there is simply no advantage that I know of, except that XEN is kept up in RHE/Centos whereas KVM is not. You would need a 2.6.20 or greater kernel, which RHE 5.X won't have.

Good luck!

Here is the snippet from the qemu man page:

       USB options:

       -usb
           Enable the USB driver (will be the default soon)

       -usbdevice devname
           Add the USB device devname.

           "mouse"
Virtual Mouse. This will override the PS/2 mouse emulation when
               activated.

           "tablet"
               Pointer device that uses absolute coordinates (like a
               touchscreen). This means qemu is able to report the mouse
position without having to grab the mouse. Also overrides the
               PS/2 mouse emulation when activated.

           "disk:[format=format]:file"
Mass storage device based on file. The optional format argument will be used rather than detecting the format. Can be used to specifiy format=raw to avoid interpreting an untrusted format
               header.

           "host:bus.addr"
               Pass through the host device identified by bus.addr (Linux
               only).

           "host:vendor_id:product_id"
Pass through the host device identified by vendor_id:product_id
               (Linux only).

           "serial:[vendorid=vendor_id][,productid=product_id]:dev"
               Serial converter to host character device dev, see "-serial"
               for the available devices.

           "braille"
               Braille device.  This will use BrlAPI to display the braille
               output on a real or fake device.

           "net:options"
Network adapter that supports CDC ethernet and RNDIS protocols.