Re: Updating methods

On Saturday 15 August 2009 19:33:32 Beartooth wrote:
> 	I've been dutifully updating my own machines with gpk-update-
> viewer; but ssh -X for some reason doesn't seem to handle it well when I
> update my wife's, on another floor. So, rather than bite off more
> troubleshooting than I can hope to chew, I've just gone back to plain ssh
> to my userid on her machine, then su - , then yum clean all followed by
> yum update.
>
> 	This practice rubs my nose in all the reboots that PackageKit
> keeps demanding, since yum never does. They're very irritating, since I
> always have things in process on my own machines waiting for me to get
> the proper round tuits -- and many of those, such as instances of Dillo,
> do not survive rebooting.
>
> 	Would somebody please explain to me, again, in words of one
> syllable, why we're putting up with all the un-Linux-like rebooting? What
> am I gaining on my machines, or losing on hers??

I'm surprised you are being asked to reboot frequently.  However, that all
depends on your definition of 'frequently'.  If you install a new kernel you
need to reboot to use it.  If your desktop does a serious update, such as
moving from KDE 4.2 to KDE 4.3, you need to log out, and start a new desktop
session.  There may be one or two other conditions that people want to point
out, but these are the main ones that I consider.

Anne