Re: Internal laptop Microphone with very low gain - HDA-Intel SigmaTel STAC9228

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Vini Engel <vini@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim said the following on 08/14/2009 10:01 PM:

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 01:41 +1000, Vini Engel wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has ever been able to resolve the issues
that exist with the sound card below and the low gain of the internal
microphone of the laptop. The mic works and so does the external one
when plugged, the problem is that the volume of everything captured by
the internal mic extremely low and almost impossible to hear
sometimes.

Are their hidden mixer options which include a "mic boost"?  It
increases the gain of the input amplifier.  You may need it off to
record really loud sounds (where turning the level down doesn't stop the
pre-amp from clipping ahead of the level control), or you may need it on
to increase the gain.  It's an option that's often needed.

I can remember that most windows machines have it. I haven't seen this option on a linux machine for a while. I do agree with you I need that option to make my mic work well but that option is no where to be found.

I found something for alsa which creates a pseudo booster, it kind of works but puts a lot of noisy in the sounds and not all applications can see it.

Do you or does anyone know hot to enable to mic boot option?

There is no such option for the driver you are using.
It is an alsa problem. I also have a dell laptop with the same problem.
Mic too low. You can file a bug report on ALSA site, or ask in the forum.
I have already done that in the past, and got no solution.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ