Problem starting haldaemon

I am finally able to work on my son's computer and
try to fix his Fedora 11 install.  X will not start as hald
is not running.  If I run hald manually with:

    hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes

The hald starts and I can type startx to start X.  However
typing "service hald start" always fails.

/var/log/messages shows:
  console-kit-daemon[4378]: CRITICAL: cannot initialize libpolkit

I am fully updated and I ran rpm -V on all hal* packages
and on the Console* packages with no errors detected.

I copied /etc/init.d/haldaemon to /etc/init.d/halx.  If I
type "service halx start", hald starts.  However, if I type
"service haldaemon start", hald fails to start.

Could there be something wrong with permissions
or SeLinux?  Could there be some config file
that did not get updated (.rpmnew) hidden somewhere?

Note, I also found the following in my /var/log/messages:
    kernel: SELinux:  Context system_u:object_r:polkit_reload_t:s0 is
not valid (left unmapped).
    console-kit-daemon[1820]: CRITICAL: cannot initialize libpolkit

This is an AMD 9500 quad-core with Nvidia video,
preupgrade from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 (see

Any help would be most appreciated,
--
Wade Hampton