Re: Testing upload/download bandwidth speeds for verification

Suvayu Ali wrote:
Hi Daniel,

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
Of the several sites I have tried, they all more or less
seemed to be in close agreement with one another in
terms of the bandwidth speeds, i.e. my connection
speed is quoted at 768KB/s up and 3MB/s down,
and the farther away from central, the more reduced
is the speeds are.

The average speed tools says that I have measured
speeds of 720-30 KB/s up and 2.0-5MB/s down.

Why is it however, that when downloading software
from the various Linux/M$ and other downloads sites
I am seeing on average, speeds of 200-320(max) KB/s
and never see anything much faster than that?

Is this normal?

Pardon me if this seems rather dumb or has been addressed by another post in the thread (I haven't gone through the whole thread), but are the speeds for your ISP KBps/MBps or Kbps/Mbps? Note the capitalized/small `B's.

If the speeds are in Kbps/Mbps, then what you get is normal. KBps/MBps would be Kilobytes/Megabytes whereas Kb/Mb would be Kilobits/Megabits. It is common practice to quote bandwidth speeds in bits rather than bytes. To convert between the two just divide by 8,
i.e. 2Mbps / 8 = 256KBps

You are correct, over the wire Internet up/down speeds are Kb/s but when
downloading via applications, i.e. via your download program, you see KB/s.

I guess my eyes got crossed somewhere when I wrote :P