Re: Testing upload/download bandwidth speeds for verification

Ed Greshko wrote:
Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
I have been testing my residential ISP/DSL-Landline
connections and wanted to make sure that I was getting
what I am paying for. Supposedly, one can use the various
website based "speed test" tools to determine their upload
and download speeds.

Are these "speed test" tools credible and can they
be trusted?

Of the several sites I have tried, they all more or less
seemed to be in close agreement with one another in
terms of the bandwidth speeds, i.e. my connection
speed is quoted at 768KB/s up and 3MB/s down,
and the farther away from central, the more reduced
is the speeds are.

The average speed tools says that I have measured
speeds of 720-30 KB/s up and 2.0-5MB/s down.

Why is it however, that when downloading software
from the various Linux/M$ and other downloads sites
I am seeing on average, speeds of 200-320(max) KB/s
and never see anything much faster than that?

Is this normal?
Yes, very normal....

First, the download speed get from any site can only be as high as their
upload speed.
So, does that mean I am wasting money by going from
768KB/s Up / 768KB/s Down to 768KB/s Up / 3MB/s
Down since I will never obtain download speeds faster
than the Upload limit of 768KB/s ???  The only way to
get more speed is to increase the Upload speeds to be
more closer to the Download speeds which is always
higher?

Perhaps I should downgrade my connection speeds to
768KB/s Up / 768KB/s Down since I cannot get higher
than 768KB/s Up and I am losing $$$ or am I missing
something here?

I wondered why ISPs do not offer matching Up/Down
speeds, so as to snare an ignorant dupe?

Second, run the web based speed checks from 2 or 3 different sites simultaneously and/or the same site multiple times simultaneously and see what the results are then.
Those two things should shed some light as to why it is normal.

Oh, and third, the software download sites probably also have rate
limits on each upload (from their point of view) so that everyone gets
the same level of service.

All of these reasons are the driving force behind the development of
bittorrent...
Has anyone gotten download speeds any faster that
what I have reported?

What I am trying to determine is if my ISP only shows
un-throttled speeds between me & them, but then somehow
throttles my bandwidth usage when I am using the Internet,
or is it more probable that download speeds are being throttled
from the download site itself?

Other than by using `speed testers', I have yet to find a download
site that pushes out more than 2-300KB/s?

I have tried HTTP, FTP & Bittorent and there is very little or no
speed improvements as far as I can tell.

Just wondering,
Dan