Re: system-config-printer not authenticating properly

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 17:24 -0500, Hooker, Jonathan wrote:
> I am trying to get system-config-printer to authenticate as a sudo
> user (one that is a part of the wheel group) instead of the root user
> when trying to add or modify a printer in fedora 10. I have been
> unsuccessful in finding any help on this topic anywhere on the
> internet.

What you need to do is adjust your CUPS policy so that it counts your
special user as a 'system' user.  In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf you'll see a
section that starts:

<Policy default>

In that section are sub-sections like this:

<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer ...>
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>

Here, '@SYSTEM' means 'in one of the system groups', and the default
CUPS system groups are sys, root, and system.

In order to make 'wheel' one of the system groups, add a line near the
top (not in any section) like this:

SystemGroup sys root system wheel

Hmm, perhaps 'wheel' should be one of the default groups...

> In previous versions the authentication used was consolehelper but
> this does not seem to be the case in FC10.

The last release where that was the case was Fedora Core 5. :-)

> It also seems that it does not use PolicyKit either which other
> system-config type programs are now doing.

Not in Fedora 10 -- that was added in Fedora 11.  I wrote about it a few
days ago here:
  http://cyberelk.net/tim/2009/08/11/policykit-and-printing/

Tim.
*/