Re: naive live USB question

On 12/08/09 21:05, David L wrote:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM, David L wrote:

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 09:23:00AM -0700, David L wrote:

I recently took a f11 live USB stick and used it to install
f11 on a second USB stick (my hard drive crashed and I
decided to temporarily just use a USB stick for a hard
drive... that worked amazingly well by the way, but I
digress). �I was wondering why the live USB creation process
can't just create the result of this process... ie, make
the stick look like a normal disk instead of the "persistent
overlay" thing?

Not a naive question, but I guess the answer is, you don't need the
Live USB creation process to do that -- you can just install to a USB
key using the standard installer. �The Live USB process grew out of
the Live CD case, because it's a way to use one image in two different
types of media. �If you want a bootable stick that's simply a piece of
media like a hard disk, you can do that with Anaconda at any time,
booting either your system or a VM guest with boot or installation
media, and then installing to the USB key.

IMHO, it would be nice if that process was done by the fedora
folks and the resulting USB image was provided along with the
live images. �That way, somebody that wanted a bootable USB
would have a choice of the live CD image (which seems to have
some vestigial organs as a result of its evolution from Live CD)
or a file that could simply be dd'd onto a USB stick. �You could
even have different sizes with a different number of packages
for different size USB sticks.

Hmmm... I think I found something like what I'm talking about on
the fedora 12 release notes:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Alpha_release_notes#Hybrid_ISO_images_-_Simple_and_Easy_Live_USB.27s

Is that what I'm talking about or is it just an easier way to get
the identical image onto a USB?

Thanks,

             David

jeez when i brought up the idea of fedora using hybrid iso's a few months back i was basically lambasted by most on this list, now all of a sudden it's a new F12 feature? wtf???

phil