Re: down the LCD panel rabbit hole

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 19:38 -0400, brian wrote:
> I'm also pretty confused as to why there are 2 separate display config
> panels in the first place.

System preferences - set up drivers and configuration for what your
hardware actually is.

User preferences - allows users to have custom resolutions to suit
themselves, such as users with eyesight problems who want everything
big.  If a user doesn't set their own preferences, the default is to
give them the highest resolution available.

Though, LCDs only work well at their physical resolution.  Even exact
multiples of double or half resolution look disgustingly smudgy.  CRT
monitors often work well at several different resolutions, they don't
have 1:1 mapping of graphics pixels to the dots of screen phosphors.

You also mentioned frame rates.  It's usual that LCD panels only work at
one frame rate (60 Hz being common), compared to CRTs which often work
across a few different rates.  Most graphics cards have an array of
different screen sizes and frame rates, with there being combinations of
some of them that they cannot do (e.g. it may do high resolution *or*
fast screen rates).  If your card only offers your desired resolution at
a different frame rate that your monitor users, you can't use that
screen mode.  That's why some people find that their desired resolution
is unavailable to them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686