Re: F11: LiveCD problems

On 08/10/2009 05:34 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> That could be a problem....  IIRC, the liveCD tries to read the
>> partition table and decide if there is a usable swap partition there, as
>> well as your current system to mount.
>>
> I have a 1TB HD,  5GB of swap,  in an extended logical partition
> and at the end of the drive. I also have 500GB of free-space, in
> and extended partition, somewhere "in the middle".
>
> Perhaps I ought to move swap into it's own primary partition
> nearer to the "beginning" of the drive?

It shouldn't matter where the swap partition is, so long as its a
partition.  It will be found via its "partition type" code in the
partition table.  Partitions in the extended partition are standard
stuff an easily found.

>> What are you trying to do?  Upgrade or Install?
>>
> Install.

>> I recently failed getting the F11 DVD to work on either of 2 systems (1
>> upgrade [x86_64], 1 install [i586]).  I *was* able to upgrade/install
>> F10 on both systems and then use preupgrade to upgrade to F11.
>>
> The problem is, that I cannot upgrade F9/10 as multiple attempts to do
> so fails.

I had to preupgrade my F9 laptop to F10 in order to get preupgrade to
work to finally upgrade it to F11.  (I had wanted to preupgrade directly
to rawhide from F9 in anticipation of running F12 on it, but that also
failed for me.)  Its going to stay at F11 until I find/fix everything
that's broken in F11 but worked in F9....

I couldn't upgrade my F8 server directly to F11 either, so, right now,
its sitting at F10 as preupgrade F8->F10 worked for me.  I haven't yet
taken the next step as I'm still cleaning up broken stuff on it.

I also had recently received a computer that I wished to install F11 on.
 Its a Dell Dimension 3000 that I recently installed a new 250GB hard
drive and upgraded to 1GB of RAM.  All attempts to install F11 failed
(both the install DVD and the Live Media).  I *was* able to install F10
via the Live Media, and then preupgrade to F11 succeeded for me.

Can't say I'm too happy with the current state of upgrading right now.
Maybe things will be better with F12?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx