Boot fails at blinking cursor, upper left corner, after FC11 update

All:
I've just updated my FC11 install on my lenovo T60 laptop. Now when the laptop boots, just after the lenovo splash screen, when it attempts to boot from the sda drive (sata internal drive) it hangs with a blinking underline cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. All key strokes after that point result in no response, until the buffer is full and key strokes cause the system to beep at each key stroke.

I've tried booting off the rescue DVD, which does allow me to see the installed system. The latest kernel is vmlinuz-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586 and the init ramdisk (initrd-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i586.img) was updated with the software update that I had just performed (today's date and timestamp).

Changing the grub.conf file to no longer have a splash image, have a timeout of 30 seconds instead of 0 and commenting out 'hiddenmenu' results in no changes, still getting the upper left blinking underline cursor, so I can't even get into a grub boot prompt when booting off the hard drive.

What are some initial troubleshooting actions that I should attempt? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
--
Philip