comparison of audio players: mplayer much the most reliable

Having got thoroughly frustrated by the frequent crashes of the sound
system in fedora 11, I decided to investigate in a bit more depth. This
is time consuming because you have to wait for a crash, anything up to
20 minutes.

I opened System Tools/System Monitor/Processes to watch the CPU usage
and the "waiting channel" (whatever that is!)

Totem typically crashed within a couple of minutes. CPU usage for Totem
was around 10% and for pulseaudio about 30%.

Rhythmbox holds up longer, in the region of 10 minutes. CPU usage for
Rhythmbox and for pulseaudio both obviously lower, around 5% and 15%.

Gnome Mplayer does not seem to crash at all. CPU usage dramatically
lower: mplayer itself barely registers (0-1%) and pa flickers between 1
and 5%.

For all three programs, the CPU usage by pa seems to vary up and down in
step with that for the music player itself.

The "healthy" state for the waiting channel for pa, Totem and Rhythmbox
is "poll_schedule_timeout". On crashing, pa changes to "futex_wait" and
the CPU usage goes up to about 70%; total for all process reaches 100%.
In some cases pa generates an error message: pa_stream_writable_size()
failed. More often, things just freeze up completely and a reboot is
required.

The waiting channel for mplayer is hrtimer_nanosleep. Presumably this
difference has something to do with why mplayer is stable.

I would report this as a bug but I don't know what system actually is
buggy; pulseaudio seems to work fine with mplayer. Any suggestions?
--
James Bridge <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>