Re: TightVNC Server

On 8 Aug 2009 at 15:10, Philip Seeger wrote:

From:           	"Philip Seeger" <philip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	"'Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora.'" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date sent:      	Sat, 8 Aug 2009 15:10:15 +0200
Subject:        	RE: TightVNC Server
Send reply to:  	"Community assistance, encouragement,
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
	and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list.redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:fedora-list-
request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe>

> There is no file in /home/[USER]/.vnc ...?
>
> The Fedora VNC Server called "Desktop Sharing" doesn't work properly on this computer. I can connect, but the picture is so bad, it's not possible to work like that.

The Desktop sharing was using something called VINO on Fedora 10,
haven't looked at what Fedora 11 does with that. I use the regular vncserver.
Logged in as the user I run vncserver :port   (colon port).
Example: vncserver :50
That would load a vncserver session using port 5950
The first time it will prompt for a password for the vnc, and will create the .vnc
directory and the xstartup file.
Then I edit the xstartup file and uncomment the two lines.
Then I have to kill the vncserver, and run it again to have the correct desktop
connect.
I then edit the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file to start the vncserver session on
startup for that user on that port..
Also have to set the server to start under services.

Then the session is automatcially started on boot up, and I can log into the
machine using vncviewer IPaddress:port
.