Re: security updates causing firefox trouble?

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:23:33 -0700
jackson byers <byersjab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I first logged out of X and back in.
>
> it turned out to be easy to do;
>
>  but i cant be certain what did it:
>
>  ps ax |grep -i firef
>  showed 8024 as before
>  just before doing:
>
> [root@f10 ~]# fg %8024
> -bash: fg: %8024: no such job
> [root@f10 ~]# kill -15 8024
> -bash: kill: (8024) - No such process
> [root@f10 ~]# kill -9 8024
> -bash: kill: (8024) - No such process
> [root@f10 ~]# ps ax |grep -i firef
> 19058 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep -i firef
> [root@f10 ~]#
>
> we see 8024 now gone.
>
> So, one of those 3 commands, or their combination,
>  resulted in killing the 8024 process.

I think it was the log in and out of X that allowed the process to
complete.  It was sleeping waiting for a resource.  When you logged out,
I surmise it got access to the resource it was waiting for and was able
to finish.  The fact that the commands showed no such process indicates
it was finished before you ran them.  Nice illustration of the scheduler
in the kernel doing its job.

I know Tony said that can't happen in *nix, and I agree with him, *but*
your situation indicates to me that it (or something very like it) did.
Maybe there is another explanation.

> [root@f10 ~]# yum-complete-transaction
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
>  * fedora: fedora.mirror.facebook.net
>  * rpmfusion-free: mirror.web-ster.com
>  * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.web-ster.com
>  * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.web-ster.com
>  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.web-ster.com
>  * updates: mirror.stanford.edu
> No Presto metadata available for updates
> No unfinished transactions left.
> -------
> [root@f10 ~]# package-cleanup --problems
> Setting up yum
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Setting up and reading Presto delta metadata
> Reading local RPM database
> Processing all local requires
> No problems found
> [root@f10 ~]#
>
> It is good to have learned these commands.
> Appears my system is ok,
> including updated new kernel
>
> byers@f10 ~]$ uname -a
> Linux f10.pacbell.net 2.6.27.29-170.2.78.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Fri Jul 31
> 04:40:15 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

This is great!  And again, indicates to me that the process finished
normally, allowing it to finish all tasks and clean up properly.

> thanks again for the help
> Jack

Welcome!