Re: Interrpreting modifier codes in /etc/inputrc ?? -- [SOLVED]

Thanks Steven;

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 16:27 -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> On 08/07/09 09:30, quoth William Case:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I solved all my readline problems in .bashrc with
> > export INPUTRC='/etc/inputrc'.  Before I feel too sheepish ...
>
> Let me stimulate your need for feeling sheepish.

My wife passed away a few years ago.  My ego needs someone, from time to
time, to stimulate my sheepishness.

> * Never set an environment variable in your .bashrc  Instead, set it in your
> .bash_profile.

Ah well.  That's what happens when you find the solution at night and
then post about it the next morning.  The export statement was placed in
the .bash_profile from the beginning. I just wrote too fast and
mis-remembered this morning.

> * If you say export INPUTRC=/etc/inputrc in your .bash_profile then you will
> bypass any additions that you might want to add for yourself personally.

This is a one person system.  I deliberately wanted to make the changes
universal to the system.

>  By
> default, the ~/.inputrc is read already, so better would be to say in your
> ~/.inputrc:
>
> $include /etc/inputrc
> and then add any extras you personally may have.

I didn't know about the $include directive.  I looked it up in the
readline manual, and now I know what it is for, I will use it.

> * Note that the export statement in your .bashrc should not have the pathname
> in single quotes. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't do you any good either since
> it's inherently a single word. Try to reserve the single quotes to create a
> value that may have multiple words and the double quotes for when  you have
> variable interpolation.

OK.  Someone, somewhere, sometime ago said I should always use the
single quotes "just to be safe".  I got into the habit of doing just
that.

Thanks

--
Regards Bill