Re: Booting with the uncompressed image (vmlinux)

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 23:01:09 -0500
Mani <mani2885@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to install and boot kernel with the uncompressed image.
> Actually I want to use the Kdump module for debugging. As per the
> document below
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/www.dedoimedo.com-kdump-tutorial-lm.pdf
> the crash kernel (secondary kernel) used by the Kdump needs to have
> the uncompressed image named 'vmlinux' and not 'vmlinuz'. I copied
> the 'vmlinux' image from /usr/src/linux (folder where source code for
> the crash kernel resides) to /boot and renamed it as
> vmlinux-2.6.25.14-kdump
>
> Modified grub.conf as mentioned below (LILO is not used)
>
> title Fedora (2.6.25.14-kdump)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinux-2.6.25.14-kdump ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 initrd /initrd-2.6.25.14-kdump.img
>
> When I reboot into this kernel, I get the following error:
> "Error 13: Invalid or unsupported exectable format"
>
> It may be because bzImage is expected. How do I may it work? Please
> advise me on this. I am pretty new to Linux environment.
> Thank you.

The way I understand this is that you don't actually boot into this
kernel until a crash occurs (I haven't actually used the feature, just
investigated it).  Then it automatically is started, at a different base
address than the original kernel.  The option has to be enabled in the
original kernel (vmlinuz), so you usually have to recompile the original
kernel you are running to allow this.

To test it, you could create a bzImage, thus enabling boot from grub.
Then put it back in uncompressed form for when the crash boots it.

You are more likely to get answers to your questions on one of the
kernel lists as this is mainly used to examine the remains of a crashed
kernel during development.

By the way, this is sophisticated for someone pretty new to the Linux
environment.