Re: Problem in upgrading to Fedora 11

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:11:47 +0530
Jayakrishnan M <jay.krishnanm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade a Fedora 10 installation to Fedora 11 using
> yum. I am following the instructions given here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

I have used those successfully in the past.

> But when I try to install the fedora-release rpm, it gives the error
>

> [root@kabini ~]# rpm -K fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm
> fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm: RSA sha1 ((MD5) PGP) md5 NOT OK
> (MISSING KEYS:(MD5) PGP#d22e77f2)

It looks like this is using sha1.  The default in F11 is sha256.
Perhaps that is the source of the whole problem.  Look for an option to
tell the checks to use sha256sum.  There is also a perl package called
shasum, not sure of the package it comes from, that uses the
appropriate sha version automatically.

> I had downloaded the rpm from fedora website.
> Please let me know if you have encountered the same problem and any
> solutions for this.

I installed from the DVD, so did not have a problem.  In the past I have
had no problem installing a release file.

Why not try from a different source?  Here is one in India.

http://fedora.iitm.ac.in/releases/11/Fedora/x86_64/os/Packages/fedora-release-11-1.noarch.rpm

See if it works.  If it doesn't, go to the mirror list and pick another
mirror.  By the way, I would use rpm -ivh instead of rpm -Uvh.  Might
not make a difference, but might.  The update might default to sha1,
while the install might use sha256.  Not likely, but maybe.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/11/

If you can't get it to verify correctly, you could use --force.  Check
that the file is the same from several different mirrors, minimizing
the chance it is compromised, then force it to install.

man rpm is your friend here, to see what is possible.