Re: snort problem

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 14:28 +0530, RAMAKISHOREBABU KOPPULA wrote:
> While system is booting I getting the following message"
>
> starting: snort   [FAILED]
>
> What is this

Try Google for instant answers.

Snort :: Home Page
A free lightweight network intrusion detection system for UNIX and
Windows.
www.snort.org/

>  and how to rectify it?

You'll need to be root to do the following, so enter the command line
I've shown inside the quotes, "su -", hit enter, and type in the root
password.

Try starting the service from the command line, and see if you get more
information than the "failed" showing while booting up.

e.g. service snort start

Look at logs to try and find out more error messages than just "failed".
First place to look is usually /var/log/messages.  Some programs have
their own log files, or directories, inside /var/log, so list the
directory and have a look.

See if there's a man file, info file, or other documentation for the
service installed on your computer.

man snort
info snort
ls /usr/share/doc/snort*/

This is general advice, I don't have specific information about snort.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.