Sun Type 5 (USB) keyboards and the Cut/Copy/Paste keys...

The best keyboard I've ever used (due to size, keys feel, and overall
cuteness) is the Sun Type 5 (USB) keyboard that came with my w1100z
AMD Opteron "Java Workstation".

These huge keyboards (yes, size does matter :-P) have custom keys
labeled "Cut" "copy" and "paste". However, I haven't found any way on
Linux to have these keys operate as "cut" "copy" and Paste. I mean,
emulate a Ctrl-C for Copy, a Ctrl-V for Paste, and Ctrl-X for Cut.

Is there any EASY way to repgrogram keyboards under Linux so that
these keys work seamlessly under Linux?. The problem I remember was
that under Linux the terminal uses its own config to get/send
keystrokes, X uses its own, and then Gnome added another layer of
complexity on top. So in the end to make one keyboard layout change
one had to change Gnome's keyboard-handler, then X's config, and then
something else to make the change work on text mode terminals as well.

Under Sun's OpenSolaris I guess it's all fine and surely Sun has
tweaked things everywhere or just included a "Sun Type 5" keyboard
setting that modifed things at all levels needed. At least, I remember
reading somewhere that under Sun's "JDS Linux" (released in 2003 and
based on Novell's NLD) they tweaked Xfree86's config and hacked in
support for Sun's keyboards. However, I'm not sure those changes were
incorporated upstream (and even if those were, Linux switched from
Xfree86 to X.org shortly after that).

Finally, to futher complicate things, I don't think that the
copy/paste/cut keys were ever intended to send Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-X
keystrokes, I'm sure those keys send their own particular scancodes...

Come on... I guess I'm not the only one whom loves the Sun Type 5
keyboards and would love to get full seamless functionality out of
those keys..

Thoughts? Comments? Expletives? ;-) (pleaase refrain from saying "yes,
press Ctrl and then C for copy.... etc") ;-)

FC

--
Dream of the Daily Mail
It is the Holy Grail

-Manic Street Preachers, "Royal Correspondent"