Re: pulseaudio - WOW

john wendel wrote:
On 07/31/2009 08:46 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
Uh, I don't use pulseaudio at all, just alsa, and I can run
audacious,
vlc and mplayer simultaneously and hear all of them. Of
course, I can't
set the volume of each individually, but why would I want
to do this in
the first place.

Most recent (last 10 years) sound hardware has a hardware
mixer. You
don't need a software layer to make it work.

But the developers give it to you for FREE*, even though you might not be interested in it? and it may not work for you, but will still get it whether you want to or not? Nah, I am just answering for the FUN OF IT :)
hope no one is offended, just trying to have a bit of fun here!

BTW,
I don't know why but *it seems to me* that Fedora will jump to kernel 2.6.31 as soon as it is released. Just yesterday 2.6.30.4 was released and I have it installed learning the patching process and applying it. Why do I believe that Fedora will jump to 2.6.31?, since on rawhide 2.6.31.rc kernels are being run, and also that Fedora skipped 2.6.28 kernels altogether and jumped to 2.6.29.X kernels :)

I apologize in advance for the (BTW), but since I know that John runs latest kernels and I am kind of following this trend. It does feel strange not to be running an official Fedora kernel, but Fedora is staying behind, for [1], [2], [3]? reasons. Also while on this topic, will Fedora 12 move to gcc 4.5 snapshots since gcc has been bumped to 4.4.1?

Regards,

Antonio

[1] the hack that defeated selinux and other security problems with null pointers [2] too many features are present in 2.6.30 that might break systems so developers are playing it safe [3] will jump to 2.6.31 kernels because those are being tested via rawhide and new features introduced that it would be safe to jump this way?

I was just expressing some irritation at pulseaudio. Remember how bad network manager was when it was first released? I expect that pulseaudio will eventually turn into a first class audio system, it just needs some more work.

What do you mean "was" bad? Is there some secret version of NM which works reliably for cases other than one user logging in to get a connection, and always using the one AP in the area? Without doing complex things like suspending?

I don't expect that F11 will get a 2.6.31 kernel, do you? Of course, nothing should stop anyone from installing it themselves, I know I will. I don't run the latest 2.6.31rc kernels, because I do need to use my computer (for something other than kernel testing).

I would not be surprised to see F10 get 2.6.31, if even half of the things being said about better video drivers is true. I don't mind -rc kernels, that's what KVM and the extra 4GB of RAM I didn't really need are for!

Of course, F12 will have 2.6.31 so it makes sense for it to be in rawhide now.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>