Re: How to gut &%$#&#@ Firefox?

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 10:24 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > On 08/02/2009 02:06 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> >
> >> 	They make it incredibly tedious to get rid of all their miserable
> >> language-pack cruft -- and the minute you turn your back, they shove it
> >> all in again.
> >>
> >> 	Is there a way to prevent / disable that abominable practice?
> >>
> >> 	Or has the time come to admit that the blasted browser is not
> >> worth the trouble it takes?
> >>
> >> 	Is there a reasonably similar one without this disgusting
> >> practice? Seamonkey, maybe?
> >>

> > Not minimizing your pain, but I don't understand the problem.  The
> > language packs are pretty small - all told they come out to about 17MB
> > on my system.  Even if you don't use them, then that's not a lot of disk
> > space or network transfer volume.  If you ever do need them, they're
> > pretty nice to have.
> >

> I agree 100% and have added my comment to bugzilla.

If there's no downside to having them, why is there a dialogue for
disabling them? If the dialogue is required, a) why is it so damn stupid
and b) why aren't the settings preserved across updates, as they are for
every other configuration option Firefox has? There's really no excuse
for this.

> I can easily see any cure for this "illness" being much worse in the
> long run.

Just replacing the large number of buttons (which are all on by default)
with checkboxes would go a long way to making this a non-issue,
especially if the state were preserved across versions. Even a button
for "turn off all additional languages" would do it. This is User
Interfaces 101.

poc