Re: Fedora 11 very very slow on Athlon DAM 1500+, 1.3 GHz Machine

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the informative reply.

How much time the internal database creation should take.
I had Fedora 11 with very very low speed running on my desktop for 3 days, and then had to move back to Fedora 10 :(.

Thanks,
Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji, BE IT, India
Sent from Pune, MH, India

2009/8/1 stan <gryt2@xxxxx>
On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 07:11:38 +0530
Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji <jwalant.soneji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I tried running Fedora 11, with it being only operating system
> installed, and it was too slow for everything.
> The message boxes, applications, games, etc... everything.. took a
> great time to load.
>
> It was installed on Ext4 file system. Is my computer not capable of
> handling that?
> Right now, I run Fedora 10 and there is not any slow down issue.
> Please suggest.

When F11 (Fedora in general) first starts after an install, all of the
background services are creating databases.  This slows down things
considerably.  After all this is done, the speed should be back to
normal.  You should also look at the services that are enabled and
cancel any that aren't needed.

I don't think it has anything to do with ext4.  I currently run F11
x86_64 using ext4 on fairly old hardware and the response times are just
fine.

What do top and iotop show as using lots of cpu and disk bandwidth?