Re: How to sort a file -

Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
2009/8/1 Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I have a file of Netgear router data that I would like to sort on date and
time.

Simplest solution I can thing of:

# mv NG-LOG NG-LOG.old
# cat newvalues.txt NG-LOG.old > NG-LOG
# rm NG-LOG.old

But will your router not log to an external machine? Most of the
routers I've ever owned had the ability to send data to an external
syslog server...

This is a new WGR61v9 wireless router and apparently they have removed the option to e-mail the log. At least I haven't found it. I suspect they removed it because it didn't work although I'm not certain. It would never work for me on the old router which also was a WGR614 [v6 I believe]. They look and act pretty much the same. The old one began to act erratically after several years of continuous service and I replaced it to be safe. A system failure would bring complaints from four other family members.

This is not a critical need, just something I have been trying to do. The data is there and it seems I ought to be able to look at it in some logical fashion.

Thanks.

Bob