Re: F11 install: some nasty surprises

On 8/1/09, Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andras Simon wrote:
>
>> X is fine with the F11 live cd, too.
>
> So why not install from this?

To mention just one reason: the installation process dies with an ugly
sigsegv. I can dig up the bugzilla entry for you if you're
interested...

> How did you run it without a CD, incidentally?

livecd-iso-to-disk  Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdd1

where /dev/sdd1 is where the usb stick lives. After this, it's bootable.
See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo.

>>> used later. So I had to go back and choose the 3rd option ("use all
>>> free space" or some such). I didn't know it meant automatic
>>
>> No, it must have been the "use entire drive" option.
>
> I always use the last (Custom Install) option.

Me too. Except that there wasn't one, probably because of the
text-mode installation.

> I have zero faith in Anaconda's partitioning.

Agreed. What is especially frustrating here is that there was no need
for partitioning. The old one (smallish /boot, and a root partition)
would've been fine. Except that the installer thought (wrongly) that
there wouldn't be enough space.

Andras