Re: I guess Fedora is OK for servers

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
I found the following quote from a LWN article insteresting:
Internally, kernel.org runs on ten "disgustingly nice" machines donated by HP. John was strong in his praise of HP and ISC (which provides the bulk of the considerable bandwidth used by kernel.org); without them, kernel.org would not function the way it does. Beyond ISC, there are a couple of machines hosted at the OSU open source lab and one at Umeå University in Sweden. A lengthy process has finally gotten all of these machines upgraded to Fedora 9 - just in time, John noted wryly, for Fedora to end support for that distribution. So another round of upgrades in in the works for the near future.
I wouldn't have expected the kernel.org servers to be running Fedora.
In the comments (http://lwn.net/Articles/341826/#Comments) someone asks
why they are using Fedora, but there doesn't seem to be an answer to that.

This is not an answer, but an educated guess... some of the iptables code has changed. Since this is not really bug fix, but possible new functionality, it won't be in RHEL. Could be in some application as well, mail? ftp? Given the nature of servers, the way people use them could be better served by something newer.

Then again maybe k.o is a willing test sie ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>