Re: no hardware acceleration?

On 07/30/2009 12:49 PM, Mauriat Miranda wrote:
On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM, john wendel<jwendel10@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Not true. Software rendering refers to the display of 3D objects in OpenGL.
  Unless you have a very strange setup, mplayer won't be using OpenGL to
display video data.

Not strange at all, actually mplayer can use OpenGL.
# mplayer -vo gl

You're absolutely correct. I've never tried it before, but it works fine.

I think mplayer will go through available output drivers till it finds
one available.  So in some cases opengl output may occur.  Although if
you installed properly from RPMFusion/Livna I don't think should
happen.

I've got a box with a geforce 5200 LE, and it displays video just fine if I
use the "evil" Nvidia driver. The "nouveau" driver (which you probably have)
isn't quite ready for prime time.

As I recall the "nouveau" driver was not shipped as default in Fedora
9, which I think the OP is using.

I found nouveau pretty functional for 2D without any problems in
F11-64 on my Geforce 5200.

Again, I stand corrected. My nouveau experience was with an earlier version than the one shipped currently. The F11 version seems to be working fine, playing 720P H264 video on a slow AMD cpu.

Thanks,

John