Control of sound level has disappeared

After getting ausion CDs to play and web videos to work by removing
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and in some cases the pulseaudio rpm itself I am
left with a new problem. Neither the hardware volume control above the
keyboard nor the volume control applet on the panel work. Volume control
built in the the applications does work.

Does someone have a fix? Restoring the pulseaudio rpms does not help.