Re: Mute button on T61 doesn't work in F11

Hi Matthew,

I've lost the original message-id so I've started a new thread with the same subject (nabble, gmane, etc. don't provide the original message headers).

I'm guessing that your mute control and volume controls have become attached to different sound channels.

I had a similar problem on f10. I listen to a radio tuner that's fed into "Line In".

At first the kb mute, volume up, and volume down buttons worked. Then the mute button went on vacation, i.e. when pressed the popup would show muted but the sound was not muted. Then yesterday morning I popped in a CD which brought up Rhythmbox. Volume AND mute buttons were both working. Well, me thinks, this is cool.

After the CD finished I went back to my radio on Line In but then none of the keyboard controls worked. :(

It turns out that there is the system volume control (by default on the default toolbar), the volume controls on the alsamixer, and another controller found at System->Preferences->Hardware->Sound. From there go to Default Mixer Tracks and choose (Alsa mixer) from the dropdown box. There you will see the same controls as on the alsamixer. By holding shift-control one can select multiple channels to control from the keyboard. (I deselected master and selected both PCM and Line-in).

Voila'. Now the main volume control handles the master channel and the keyboard controls pcm and line-in. Since I only use one at a time there is no conflict for me.

What had happened? Can't say for sure but it seems the the mute button had become attached to pcm while volume controls were attached to line-in (which later moved mysteriously to pcm).

So... there is definitely a bug in there somewhere but I don't know enough yet to help track it down.

Hope that helps.
:m)