Re: Soundcard works but no sound... how do I troubleshoot ?

Hi;
On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 09:33 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 11:08 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;

> There isn't just one bug, there are several.  The whole linux sound
> setup is currently a mess in my opinion.

You are probably right.

> I even had sound for system events from time to time.  I have
> no idea why it decided to start working.

That is what is happening to me.  I got all my system beeps and baps
back for no apparent reason, but lost the little tune that plays on
login. ???

> Do I need to mention that sound was fine in F10 and that all of this is
> extremely frustrating ?

No need to mention it.  Everybody (or at least a lot of people) are
having the same experience.

> I can't even file a bug report on this because the symptoms are changing
> with every reboot.

If its any consolation and it probably isn't, I remember the same pain
with the first few versions of Fedora and the CUPS printing setup.  Now
printing is almost too easy.  Any printer mistakes I make are because I
think it can't be this easy; there has to be a few more configuration
steps.  Fedora has probably developed the easiest, smoothest printer and
networked printer server I have seen.  But it took several Fedora
versions and a lot of refining by a determined maintainer.

It is the same story with networking + wireless -- it is almost there.

I believe in the end ALSA + PulseAudio is the way to go, but everybody
is going to have to work at it.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3