Re: TV tuner, sound etc. -- what does this mean?

Hi Michael

Do you mind if I keep banging away at this with your off-list
assistance?  I will not be offended if you respond that this issue
should remain on-list or that you have given up on my particular
problem.
_____________________

Since I have no 'Line' the next obvious control choice I have in alsa is
'PCM'

However, ]$ tvtime --mixer="hw:0/PCM" returns an error
"mixer: mute not implemented".

I looked on-line and found this in the latest tvtime patch:

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-extras-commits/2009-06/msg05593.html+ /**

+ * Make sure that if multiple users mute the card,
+ * we only honour the last one.
+ */
+ if( !mute && mutecount ) mutecount--;
+ if( mutecount ) return;
+
+ if( mute ) {
+ mutecount++;
+ muted = 1;
+ if (snd_mixer_selem_has_playback_switch(elem))
+ snd_mixer_selem_set_playback_switch_all(elem, 0);
+ else
+ fprintf(stderr, "mixer: mute not implemented\n");
+ } else {
+ muted = 0;
+ if (snd_mixer_selem_has_playback_switch(elem))
+ snd_mixer_selem_set_playback_switch_all(elem, 1);
+ else
+ fprintf(stderr, "mixer: mute not implemented\n");
+ }

Is this worth exploring?

Meanwhile, I will continue to chase down the info I get from lshal.
It shows me where everything is in the VFS and the devices identified by
the HAL site.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 11, Gnome 2.26.3