Re: Suddenly I can't play audio CDs in F11.

On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 20:25 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Similarly, when I look at the multimedia page in systemsettings I see
> a list of possible outputs for each type of input.  Experiment with
> those, if you can find them.  I found it well worth moving some
> around, making sure that either PA or an output seen to work (test
> button) is at the top of the list.

I can remember doing that sort of thing, in the past, with Gnome.  The
default setting was "autodetect."  I've no idea what it actually is
meant to pick in that mode, and it doesn't tell you.

With everything set to pulseaudio, sound sharing worked (i.e. two, or
more, programs could generate sound at the same time).  But as soon as
*anything* directly used ALSA (or another sound system), it wedged
everything else, and sometimes even itself.  You get the same whether
one thing, or everything was set to use ALSA (or OSS, or whatever else).

The solution wasn't stopping using pulse, it was stop everything
directly accessing sound in some other way.  It's *them* that wedges
sound, whatever method is used.

And, in some cases, what wedged a sound system was logging into a
desktop and it trying to play a sound as you logged in.  So you never
had a chance to use your audio hardware.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.